The Ghost on My Couch - L.A. Gilbert What an unexpectedly awesome book. It's a good thing I'm off work, because I stayed up 'til the wee hours of the morning to finish it. It tells the story of Alex, a nurse, who one day just has a random ghost show up in his flat. Why the ghost appears only to him is never explained; there's no metaphysical discussion, no spiritual reasoning. And I didn't even care, even though that sort of omission usually bugs me. This book was so charming and sweet. But not, like, diabetic-coma-inducing sweet; sweet in a way that makes you want to stop being such a cynical monster. What's more is that, despite the paranormal thing, it's so down-to-earth and the characters are so normal and relatable; there's not a high cheekbone or a sculpted pectoral in sight. There are also no explicit sex scenes, so that's almost novel. It's also genuinely, laugh-out-loud funny. You can see the ending coming from about 2 miles off, but by that point you're so emotionally involved that any and all clich├ęs are forgiven. One more thing, it has an ugly cat - cynical monster I may be, but ugly cats are my kryptonite.